About

About This Site:

Welcome to the blog and webpage of THEA 335: Musical Theatre Performance at the Univ. of Mary Washington. This site will be a place for students to engage in discussion throughout the semester. Also, this site will serve as a resource for students for class materials, readings, and video.

About The Course:

Musical Theatre Performance is an exploration of musical theatre in a studio workshop setting. Students will study the work of the actor/singer/dancer and use their gained knowledge to develop as performers. There will be a heavy concentration on vocal methods and music, including vocal production, vocal technique, music reading and sight-singing. Students will prepare and present as soloists as well as members of small groups and larger ensembles. Since this is a workshop course, students will prepare material for class presentation and critique. There will also be a focus on the audition process as well as musical theatre history and repertoire. Finally, the class will participate in a culminating showcase performance at the end of the semester.

About the Instructor – Christopher Wingert:

I have been Music Director at the UMW’s Department of Theatre and Dance since 2005 and became an adjunct faculty member in 2007.  Our most recent musicals have been:   Nunsense! The Musical (2005), Forever Plaid (2005), Bat Boy: The Musical (2006), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (2007), Elegies: A Song Cycle (2008), Reefer Madness (2009), The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (2011), RENT (2011), and Into the Woods (2012).   I began teaching Musical Theatre Performance in 2007 and this is the seventh year I have taught THEA 335/336.

I have worked in arts administration since 2001, beginning at UApresents where I served as Artist Relations Assistant and helped with the planning and backstage details for a wide variety of musicians and Broadway touring performers. My involvement with symphony orchestra administration grew following an internship with the Pittsburgh Symphony (2004).  Since 2005, I have worked in arts consulting and executive search for not-for-profit performing arts groups at Catherine French Group in DC and am a member of the League of American Orchestra’s Essentials of Orchestra Management class of 2007.

I keep a private piano studio and volunteer as a piano teacher and music director at the Sitar Arts Center, a fantastic community arts facility in the Adams Morgan neighborhood.  I’ve served as music director and pit musician for the Sitar Center’s productions of Once Upon a MattressYou’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, Beauty and the Beast, Hello Dolly,, Bye, Bye, Birdie, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I continue to freelance in DC as music director, accompanist, and cabaret musician.  I recently served as music director/pianist for the Ganymede Arts production of William Finn’s Falsettos. I appear regularly in cabaret performances with two-time Helen Hayes Award winner Will Gartshore at Signature Theatre and Round House Theatre.

I graduated from the Universityof Arizonawith degrees in music performance and music education (my primary instruments are piano and French horn). While in Arizona, I served as assistant conductor, accompanist and pit performer for the Arizona Repertory Theatre productions of Oklahoma!, Guys and Dolls, Little Shop of Horrors, Carousel and The Rocky Horror Show and as music director and conductor for the Arizona OnStage productions of Assassins, Ruthless! The Musical, and A New Brain.

See you in class,